Every Sunday we sit with the bishop's wife, and she helps me out while both of our husbands sit on the stand. I literally don't know what I would do without her. She has been holding Sariah during church since Sariah was a newborn, and this has allowed me to focus most of my attention on Dallin. The Sundays she isn't there are nightmares.
She and Sariah have gotten to be very close buddies. At first, I kind of resented the idea that someone else was holding my baby when I wanted to be holding my baby. But over the months, I've realized what a blessing this was. I could take Sariah to Sacrament Meeting and not even have to think about her--she was taken care of the entire time. It allowed me one-on-one time with Dallin, and I have enjoyed being able to have him sit on my lap and things like that that would have never been possible had I had to deal with Sariah too.
Sariah has loved Sister B like a second grandma. In fact, one Sunday I had dropped Sariah off at nursery with barely even a backward glance from her as I said goodby and headed out the door. But when Sister B poked her head in nursery and left again, Sariah completely freaked out. Sister B brings snacks and treats for the kids, lets Sariah play with all her jewelry, lotion, and makeup, and otherwise makes her feel like the most special little girl in the world.
But Dallin has been jealous. He feels like Sister B only likes Sariah and doesn't like him. This is not true at all. She does like him. But all he can see is the attention she showers on Sariah. I've tried to explain to him that it's Sister B's job to take care of all of Sariah's needs at church so that he gets to spend more time with me. (Now, come on, getting more attention from Mommy is surely better than getting attention from the bishop's wife, isn't it???) But he's been convinced that she just doesn't like him as much.
As a result, he's decided that he doesn't like her either. Every Sunday he asks if we have to sit with the B's. Last Sunday when Sariah was home sick with Daddy, he was furious that we still had to sit with Sister B. I'm talking mad to the point of meltdown.
I haven't been able to figure out what to do about this. I really haven't wanted to sit Sister B down and say, "You know, Dallin thinks you don't like him. Could you try to shower him with some extra attention and affection--and some extra treats might not hurt, either?" The idea of such a conversation just hasn't appealed to me. I think Sister B would feel terrible to think that Dallin thinks she doesn't like him, and I don't want her feelings to be hurt.
But the Lord had a plan! Oh, boy, did He have a plan! The prayers of my heart have been answered!
Sister B just got called to be a Primary worker. And guess who's class she's going to be teaching?
Yep. Dallin will now get to interact with Sister B on his own time and his own terms, without a little sister to be the center of attention. He actually came out of Primary today with a big grin, happy to tell me that his new teacher is Sister B.
She promised to bring them treats next week. Yeah, treats will soothe over any grudge.
(Now I'm torn between my stake primary leader mindset of "Treats in Primary are against the handbook" and my Mommy mindset of "Let the food do the talking! AKA "The way to a boy's heart is through his stomach!")
She and Sariah have gotten to be very close buddies. At first, I kind of resented the idea that someone else was holding my baby when I wanted to be holding my baby. But over the months, I've realized what a blessing this was. I could take Sariah to Sacrament Meeting and not even have to think about her--she was taken care of the entire time. It allowed me one-on-one time with Dallin, and I have enjoyed being able to have him sit on my lap and things like that that would have never been possible had I had to deal with Sariah too.
Sariah has loved Sister B like a second grandma. In fact, one Sunday I had dropped Sariah off at nursery with barely even a backward glance from her as I said goodby and headed out the door. But when Sister B poked her head in nursery and left again, Sariah completely freaked out. Sister B brings snacks and treats for the kids, lets Sariah play with all her jewelry, lotion, and makeup, and otherwise makes her feel like the most special little girl in the world.
But Dallin has been jealous. He feels like Sister B only likes Sariah and doesn't like him. This is not true at all. She does like him. But all he can see is the attention she showers on Sariah. I've tried to explain to him that it's Sister B's job to take care of all of Sariah's needs at church so that he gets to spend more time with me. (Now, come on, getting more attention from Mommy is surely better than getting attention from the bishop's wife, isn't it???) But he's been convinced that she just doesn't like him as much.
As a result, he's decided that he doesn't like her either. Every Sunday he asks if we have to sit with the B's. Last Sunday when Sariah was home sick with Daddy, he was furious that we still had to sit with Sister B. I'm talking mad to the point of meltdown.
I haven't been able to figure out what to do about this. I really haven't wanted to sit Sister B down and say, "You know, Dallin thinks you don't like him. Could you try to shower him with some extra attention and affection--and some extra treats might not hurt, either?" The idea of such a conversation just hasn't appealed to me. I think Sister B would feel terrible to think that Dallin thinks she doesn't like him, and I don't want her feelings to be hurt.
But the Lord had a plan! Oh, boy, did He have a plan! The prayers of my heart have been answered!
Sister B just got called to be a Primary worker. And guess who's class she's going to be teaching?
Yep. Dallin will now get to interact with Sister B on his own time and his own terms, without a little sister to be the center of attention. He actually came out of Primary today with a big grin, happy to tell me that his new teacher is Sister B.
She promised to bring them treats next week. Yeah, treats will soothe over any grudge.
(Now I'm torn between my stake primary leader mindset of "Treats in Primary are against the handbook" and my Mommy mindset of "Let the food do the talking! AKA "The way to a boy's heart is through his stomach!")
Comments