This afternoon I handed out the first of four letters informing my piano parents that I will no longer be teaching after November of this year. For several months, I have known that my piano teaching days were numbered. But it was a just a few weeks ago that the distinct answer came as to exactly when and how I should quit.
I've been feeling more and more burned out lately. This past year of teaching was almost a joke at times--me trying to maintain some semblance of order in a lesson with Dallin running through the house and Sariah whining and fussing for my attention. Sometimes I felt like I should give the lessons free to make up for all the distractions.
I solved the problem this summer by hiring a mother's helper to watch them while I taught. It worked wonderfully! But I don't feel I can ask a teenage girl for that kind of commitment during the school year.
In addition, we have so many changes coming up in our family. The possibility of a new baby in the next year or so. The probability of a move in the next year or so. And Dallin starting first grade clinched the deal. I don't want to be tied up with other people's children when my own child comes home from school.
It is just the right time to make this change, and I'm actually very excited for it. I'm secretly hoping that some of my students will find other teachers and quit before November.
Three years ago, teaching piano was exactly what I needed in my life. I sorely missed music in my life, and piano-teaching filled that void. It was an answer to prayer. Things have changed dramatically for me in the past three years, and I no longer need piano-teaching. I want to do more with organ instruction, and I actually have several prospects for students. After the workshop, I am eager to do more composing. How timely that a music store in Salt Lake City will be offering a 3-week workshop this fall entitled "Composing for the Organ". Coincidence? NOT!
Piano teaching filled its purpose in my life, and I'm very grateful that I had that experience. I highly doubt I'll teach piano again (though never say never!) except to my own children. I am confident now that the organ is where my future is and that I have the ability to succeed.
I've been feeling more and more burned out lately. This past year of teaching was almost a joke at times--me trying to maintain some semblance of order in a lesson with Dallin running through the house and Sariah whining and fussing for my attention. Sometimes I felt like I should give the lessons free to make up for all the distractions.
I solved the problem this summer by hiring a mother's helper to watch them while I taught. It worked wonderfully! But I don't feel I can ask a teenage girl for that kind of commitment during the school year.
In addition, we have so many changes coming up in our family. The possibility of a new baby in the next year or so. The probability of a move in the next year or so. And Dallin starting first grade clinched the deal. I don't want to be tied up with other people's children when my own child comes home from school.
It is just the right time to make this change, and I'm actually very excited for it. I'm secretly hoping that some of my students will find other teachers and quit before November.
Three years ago, teaching piano was exactly what I needed in my life. I sorely missed music in my life, and piano-teaching filled that void. It was an answer to prayer. Things have changed dramatically for me in the past three years, and I no longer need piano-teaching. I want to do more with organ instruction, and I actually have several prospects for students. After the workshop, I am eager to do more composing. How timely that a music store in Salt Lake City will be offering a 3-week workshop this fall entitled "Composing for the Organ". Coincidence? NOT!
Piano teaching filled its purpose in my life, and I'm very grateful that I had that experience. I highly doubt I'll teach piano again (though never say never!) except to my own children. I am confident now that the organ is where my future is and that I have the ability to succeed.
Comments