I found my dream house...

I'm picky about dream houses. I loved looking at houses since I was a little girl. I was poring over home plan magazines when most girls were reading Seventeen. (I did read that, too.) Since I've become a parent, and since I've owned two houses, my opinions about what makes the perfect house have changed drastically. So as I said, I'm picky. But a few weeks ago, while gathering up free material in a tiny visitor's center in Fillmore, Utah, I happened upon one of those real estate guides, and within it's pages I found my dream house!




So what makes this house perfect?
Did you see that mud room??? I could store all mine and the kids craft supplies in all those cupboards, rather than have them strewn all over the house in various little plastic bins. And it has a sink, a freezer, and cubbies for coats and shoes! And it's not even the laundry room, which brings me to "great thing about this house #2"...
Upstairs laundry! With plenty of cabinet and counter space. I might be able to actually see the top of my washer and dryer, and not have to take all the junk off every time I need to clean the lint trap.
"Flex" room right near the front door, with built-in shelves. That would be my music studio. And it's isolated enough from the rest of the house that the noise wouldn't travel. I could teach lessons without hearing the kids' noise, and I could even play the piano during nap time.
The kitchen is exactly what I'm looking for. Plenty of counter and cabinet space (severely lacking in our current home). Huge pantry. Desk in the kitchen. Bar to eat at. Open to dining area and family room.
And there's a playroom just off the kitchen! Imagine that, a separate playroom! I wouldn't have to clean up every time my visiting teachers came over. We wouldn't have to trip over toys constantly. And it has a closet--and built-in shelves.
I like the great-room concept, but I also like that there is a separate casual living area near the kitchen. Love the fireplace and built-in shelves. Love all the windows in this house! I need lots of windows so I don't have to figure out what to do with the bare walls.
The double garages are nice, though I could live without the second double garage.
Upstairs, I love that all the bedroom are on one level. We like having our kids near us at night--no main floor master bedroom for us!
Fireplace in the master bedroom, walk-in closets in all the rooms, multiple linen closets, bow window in the master bedroom. I'd be in heaven!
And last but not least, that master bath is to die for!
The only thing that's missing is a home office (since I stole it to make my music studio). But with that mud room for craft supplies, all the book shelves, and the desk in the kitchen, I think we could get by without a home office--and once the kids were older, the playroom wouldn't be needed anymore.
So that takes care of my dreams so far...and when my kids get older and my needs change, there's a whole basement to grow into.
Now I just need to find a location for this house, since south-central Utah ain't it. I wish we knew where we'll be living in a year!

Comments

One Fish said…
Awesome house. I wish I liked looking at houses as much as you do. I detest it.
Lisa said…
It's not quite as fun as it was when I was younger. I also noticed that with this house, most of my reasons for liking it are very practical. Once upon a time, I would have been purely caught up in the aesthetics of it and nothing else!