There's water, water everywhere!!!

And I'm about to go insane!!! My sweet, darling 2-year-old is obsessed with water right now and it's making me nuts. I can't go anywhere in the house without stepping in water or on ice. I "rescue" her out of the sink (kitchen or bathroom, take your pick) about 5 times a day, usually well after she's gotten bored of just dipping her toes in the drizzle out of the faucet and has progressed to gleefully flinging fountains of water all around her as far as they will go. She goes through at least two complete outfits a day; after that she hangs out in her diaper. She's figured out how to push the fridge buttons to get water and ice. When Dallin did that, we just taped a piece of paper over the door and in a few weeks he forgot about it. Not so with Sariah. It took her only about 15 minutes to figure out how to get all the tape off the cardstock I had used. So now I'm intervening (usually much too late) about 20 times a day as she fills cups of water and ice and dumps them all over the house. Yes, twice in the last 10 minutes this exact scenario has played out! I now have two beautiful soggy wet spots (OK, more like puddles) on my family room carpet. I don't even dare go barefoot around the house for fear of my poor little toes accidentally discovering yet more cold wetness. Her favorite place to dump water is in my bottom kitchen drawer. We often go to pull out a dish and find that it's all wet in there. She really loves to get two cups of liquid and pour them back and forth. I know from my child-development days that this is a great task--and that she's learning all about conservation. But it's driving me crazy!!! Because pouring two cups back and forth is only fun for about 1 minute, then it's much more fun if both cups can pour their contents anywhere BUT in the cups!

And this is only one small part of the continual messes and mischief of other sorts that Sariah seems to find on a near-constant basis throughout each and every day.

Ah, I love her, I love her, I love her... I can tell I need to figure out how to tone down my frustration, because now every time I get after her, she turns around and asks for a hug.

Comments

One Fish said…
disconnect the water function on your fridge. You can turn it off for awhile until she gets over it.
Anonymous said…
Oh gosh, I so feel your pain. Abigail and Jack have both been COMPLETELY obsessed with water. I about went crazy with it. They still like it, but by now they know they are not supposed to. I used to just keep bath towels under the sink, to clean up the daily lakes. Hang in there!! You sound like you are doing a much better job at just letting it go then I ever did!
Rhonda said…
Daniel is obsessed with water too. I keep my bathroom doors locked because of that and the poor girls have to come running for me to unlock the doors when they need to go to the bathroom. I'm not the most patient about it. He sure is cute in the pool and bathtub though.