Whoa.

So tonight I was discussing with Dallin the fact that his birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and that means that we need to start thinking about preparing a package and letter for his birthmom. I told him that I thought he was old enough this year to write a letter of his own, and that he could tell or ask her anything he wants to. He immediately told me, "I want to ask her how she got a baby." I tried to clarify: "Do you mean that you want to know how she got a baby in her belly?" "Yeah," he replied.

Wow, talk about starting things off with a bang! Can I hope that if I don't mention this letter for another few weeks, he'll forget all about his burning question and come up with something a bit more benign?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey- that is an advantage of adoption!! We can just say we went to the hospital to pick them up!!! LOL! If they ask more, they have to ask their bmoms!! Hahahahaha!
the Villamor's said…
What a loaded question Lisa! can't wait to hear how the letter actually goes!!

I like Shanna's explanation(that doesn't look spelled right...):)
Lisa said…
Shanna, I love it! LOL! Yeah, I'm not sure I'd actually include that question in the letter if he said it. I'm honestly not sure how his birthmom would take it (not so much the birds-n-bees part of it, but her being reminded of the "past").

I did realize afterward that maybe it's a sign that Dallin is wanting to know more about where babies come from. I'll have to be more on my toes and look for opportunities to have those conversations. Gosh, time goes by fast! I thought I had a few more years before I had to deal with that.