A RiRi Post

Gee, do you think someone's trying to tell me it's time for a nap???

Sariah adores her "blankie" and her "baba". I'm actually rather perplexed about how I'm going to get her to wean from that bottle. She now asks for "baba drink" when she wants it. A few months ago, I thought we were really close to weaning. I had given her rice milk one day in her bottle, and she didn't like it. So every time she saw the bottle in the fridge, she thought it was rice milk and refused to drink it. I went with this for a few days, and it was working great! She was going down f0r naps with no bottle at all, with no crying or anything. I was not offering her any bottles during the day, and she wasn't asking for any either. And then all of a sudden she decided she wanted bottles again. There was no distracting her! She is now back to drinking her bottle many times a day, and screaming at the top of her lungs if I don't deliver one instantly. I just don't have the heart to refuse.

Weaning is such a tricky area for me. If I were nursing, I would be fine to continue. But with the bottles, I worry about her teeth. Yet, I don't want a traumatic "cold-turkey" experience. A few months ago I tried switching her to a soft sippy, and that worked for about half a day, after which point she realized it was not the same thing. A long while back, I worked to switch her from milk to water in the bottle, and that worked for a few weeks, and then she decided that only milk would do. Right now my only tactic is to put only a very small amount of milk in the bottle when she asks for one, hoping that she will be satisfied. But half the time she finishes that and wants more. There is no distracting her--she wants what she wants, and nothing else will do!

I had grand visions of always "bottle-nursing" and making sure she only drank her bottles while cuddled in my arms, but that has all gone out the window. Most of the time, she doesn't want to be in my arms.

In other news, Sariah is growing up so fast! She is talking up a storm, adding lots of new words every day, and speaking in sentences. She's an independent little bugger! Her favorite line is "I'll do it!" She loves to buckle things, especially her seatbelt in the car. She can't quite do it, but she gets very upset when we finally give in and do it for her. She wants to do everything for herself. She has also figured out how to play the blame game--she loves to say, "Dallin do dat!" when asked about a mess left out or some other such mischief that we know full well she's responsible for. She now says her own name consistently: Rah-Ri.

She loves little fingerplays and songs. Grandma O taught her Patty Cake, and she loves to do the actions. She also loves to do the Piggies and constantly insists, "Again!" Her other favorite is the Eentsy Weentsy Spider, which she calls the "Weetsy Weetsy Weetsy". She also really likes "5 little monkeys jumping on the bed".


She is a girly-girl all the way! She loves to have her hair done and have Grandma put a touch of makeup on her. Mommy is not nearly so accomodating since she has already ruined several tubes of lipstick for me. The other night she and I went shopping. Whenever we passed little girl clothes, she would grab a dress or a shirt from the rack and say, "Aw, cute!" or "I like that!" over and over and over.

Her birthday is coming up in a month (!), and I'm trying to figure out gifts. What do 2-year-old girls like? I'm thinking some little pots and pans and play food, since she loves to help me cook. But other than that, she doesn't really play with toys--she likes to get into things and make messes. We have lots of baby dolls already.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

One Fish said…
Ikea has the cutest pots and pans and a tea set. I've been tempted to buy them even though I know A is too little.They are really cheap too.
Lisa said…
Really?! I haven't been to IKEA in a long time--I'll have to check those out! Thanks for the tip!
One Fish said…
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/childrens_room/10441/
Scroll down to see the cute kitchen stuff.