I've been grouchy all day. I think when you are grouchy, annoying things can sense it and seem to gravitate your way. At least, that's what happens to me. Today was a perfect example of why I think I need to quit teaching piano. What a joke! Dallin and his friend were in and out the door a million times until I finally locked them out. Then they rang the doorbell until I opened it, started to get mad, and realized Dallin was desperate to find a bathroom. When he was done I sent him back outside with stern threats to either stay out, or come in and stay in.
Sariah screamed through the whole lesson. She was tired (maybe because she won't take a nap longer than 45 minutes???) and she was mad that she couldn't go outside with the boys. Of course, every time they came in and out the door it reminded her that she wanted to go outside and didn't get to, so she screamed more. I finally, much to my chagrin, put her in her crib because I was so upset with her I didn't know what else to do, and my student couldn't even hear himself play she was so loud. I guess I lose my attachment-parenting mommy badge for that one. (Heck, I lost it a long time ago, but I can dream that I still have one, can't I?) After a few minutes I felt bad about it, so I went and got her and held her the rest of the time, and she was pretty quiet. I think it shocked her that I put her in the crib, and she didn't want to risk a repeat.
My student, like normal 11-year-old boys, get distracted enough on a fairly mellow lesson day, but when the kids are crazy he is on and off the bench every two seconds trying to see what's going on with them. It makes me nuts. I'm predicting more of the same with my next student, who will be her in 15 minutes. This next one is addicted to the post-it-notes I use to write instructions on. She collects them. She insists on choosing her favorite colors of post-it-notes for me to write on. When she's done with the old ones, she sometimes likes to stick them on her forehead or her nose. She can't bear the thought of me throwing any of them away. We spent half her lesson just dealing with the stupid post-it-notes. Something else that makes me insane!
And Dallin's little friend is eating me out of house and home. Dallin had his fill of snacks an hour or two ago, but N is still going strong, ruffling through my pantry to see what I have. I want to say, "Go home and eat your own foodl!" But I don't want Dallin's friends to think I'm mean, so I smile and say nothing. This is happening almost every time he comes over now. And this is the friend I like. Don't get me started on the friend I don't like! Anyway, now I have chip crumbs all over my couch and family room floor (which I just vacuumed this morning), and I'm almost out of yogurt, which I just bought a few days ago and which was supposed to last at leats a week.
Sariah screamed through the whole lesson. She was tired (maybe because she won't take a nap longer than 45 minutes???) and she was mad that she couldn't go outside with the boys. Of course, every time they came in and out the door it reminded her that she wanted to go outside and didn't get to, so she screamed more. I finally, much to my chagrin, put her in her crib because I was so upset with her I didn't know what else to do, and my student couldn't even hear himself play she was so loud. I guess I lose my attachment-parenting mommy badge for that one. (Heck, I lost it a long time ago, but I can dream that I still have one, can't I?) After a few minutes I felt bad about it, so I went and got her and held her the rest of the time, and she was pretty quiet. I think it shocked her that I put her in the crib, and she didn't want to risk a repeat.
My student, like normal 11-year-old boys, get distracted enough on a fairly mellow lesson day, but when the kids are crazy he is on and off the bench every two seconds trying to see what's going on with them. It makes me nuts. I'm predicting more of the same with my next student, who will be her in 15 minutes. This next one is addicted to the post-it-notes I use to write instructions on. She collects them. She insists on choosing her favorite colors of post-it-notes for me to write on. When she's done with the old ones, she sometimes likes to stick them on her forehead or her nose. She can't bear the thought of me throwing any of them away. We spent half her lesson just dealing with the stupid post-it-notes. Something else that makes me insane!
And Dallin's little friend is eating me out of house and home. Dallin had his fill of snacks an hour or two ago, but N is still going strong, ruffling through my pantry to see what I have. I want to say, "Go home and eat your own foodl!" But I don't want Dallin's friends to think I'm mean, so I smile and say nothing. This is happening almost every time he comes over now. And this is the friend I like. Don't get me started on the friend I don't like! Anyway, now I have chip crumbs all over my couch and family room floor (which I just vacuumed this morning), and I'm almost out of yogurt, which I just bought a few days ago and which was supposed to last at leats a week.
Comments