Quitting

The mother of three of my piano students informed me today that one of her children would no longer be taking lessons. Apparently he doesn't like to play the piano and every practice session is a battle of will and an arena for his bad attitude to play out on.

I had no idea. This 13-year-old boy is probably my best student. He plays with such exactness. It's not only that he masters the notes and rhythm (something which several of my students can't seem to manage!), it's that he plays with such musicality. I had just finished telling him today that he was a master at dynamics. Not only is he a good pianist, but he's an all-around nice young man as well. He's polite. Dallin considers him one of his best friends and looks foward all week to M coming for piano lessons.

I'm not offended by his quitting, nor do I take it personally. His mom said the only reason he has stuck out the last year is because of me. I've actually been wanting to reduce the size of my studio. But why him? I can think of a few students I would be happy to say goodbye to. So why does it have to be the one who's actually excelling? I am sad for him, because of the wasted talent, because of the missed opportunities in the future. I wish he could see beyond the here and now, beyond the drudgery of daily practice. I wish he could appreciate what he's got within him. Because some students just don't have it.

Yet I know he's just a 13-year-old kid. As a parent, what do you do? How long do you insist that your child stick something out? How do you let them make their own choice, knowing their potential? I would see this so differently if I weren't keenly aware of what he could do with his talent if he didn't quit.

Ah well, such is life.

Comments