Isn't he adorable??? His feet don't even touch the floor!
Dallin standing with the other students--can you tell who is proud to be a piano student?
This was Dallin's first recital--and mine too, as a teacher! Last year I only had two students, and they participated in my sister-in-law L's recital. This year I decided to branch out on my own and host a recital just for my own pupils. I'm glad it's over! There was one student, who shall remain nameless, who was giving me stress up until a few days ago, but he actually managed to pull it together and not completely embarrass himself. (Note to any piano parents out there: Don't tell your child that you don't like the piece they are playing and encourage them to play something else--not approved by the teacher--only days before the recital! This does NOT make the teacher happy! Especially when the said student is now ready to play exactly NOTHING.)
I was so proud of Dallin! He played Hot Cross Buns and Oh, I Like Snacktime! aka Jolly Old St. Nicholas. I was planning to play a duet accompaniment with him on each piece, which is common for teachers to do with beginning students. However, after he got to the dress rehearsal and saw all the other kids playing all by themselves, he was determined that Mommy was not going to be anywhere near the piano bench while he was playing. He got mad at me for trying to help him practice announcing his piece. He was definitely Mr. Independent, but I am so proud of him!
Dallin standing with the other students--can you tell who is proud to be a piano student?
This was Dallin's first recital--and mine too, as a teacher! Last year I only had two students, and they participated in my sister-in-law L's recital. This year I decided to branch out on my own and host a recital just for my own pupils. I'm glad it's over! There was one student, who shall remain nameless, who was giving me stress up until a few days ago, but he actually managed to pull it together and not completely embarrass himself. (Note to any piano parents out there: Don't tell your child that you don't like the piece they are playing and encourage them to play something else--not approved by the teacher--only days before the recital! This does NOT make the teacher happy! Especially when the said student is now ready to play exactly NOTHING.)
I was so proud of Dallin! He played Hot Cross Buns and Oh, I Like Snacktime! aka Jolly Old St. Nicholas. I was planning to play a duet accompaniment with him on each piece, which is common for teachers to do with beginning students. However, after he got to the dress rehearsal and saw all the other kids playing all by themselves, he was determined that Mommy was not going to be anywhere near the piano bench while he was playing. He got mad at me for trying to help him practice announcing his piece. He was definitely Mr. Independent, but I am so proud of him!

Comments