Dallin's greatest

OK, I promised I would post about what Dallin's been up to lately since I bragged on Sariah the other day. And after a less-than-stellar day for all of us here at our house, I think I also need this chance to remember why I love Dallin so much and what a cool kid he is.

This picture says it all: Dallin's life still revolves around sports. I have a feeling it will be like this for the rest of his life. Basketball is currently taking a back seat to soccer and baseball. Daddy took him to Salt Lake last week and bought him his first baseball glove, and they've been practicing in the yard almost every day. Baseball lessons have begun! He is quite a good little player--even Uncle V and Aunt L noticed it when he played with their kids a few weeks ago.

He's still a music-lover, though, much to my relief. He came home from school today with an assigned speaking part for kindergarten graduation. He told me the reason he got to have a speaking part is because he is such a good singer. I'm not sure what singing has to do with speaking, but I was glad he considered himself a good singer. My students' recital is coming up in a few weeks, and I finally decided to push Dallin onward with the idea that he will play a couple of pieces in it. I was on the fence since he hasn't really had a lesson in several months. He decided he wanted to play "Hot Cross Buns". The next day he changed his mind and said he didn't want to play, but I've been having him practice every day. I'm just not telling him why he's practicing!

Last Sunday morning, I sat down at the piano to start trying to improvise on some hymns. I managed to get myself the assignment of teaching a class at this organ workshop entitled "Creating preludes and postludes from the hymnbook". Now I actually have to create some preludes and postludes from the hymnbook so I'll have something to teach about. Anyway, I was playing the piano when Dallin sat down beside me. He was fascinated by the fact that each hymn has a number. He started randomly choosing hymn numbers and having me play and sing whatever hymn corresponded with the number he chose. We must have sung 10 or 15 hymns. I can't remember if he actually sang them with me or just listened, but he was very enthralled with what was going on. I know Sariah was singing at the top of her lungs. I kept thinking, "Wow, here we are gathered around the piano with the hymnbook! I wondered if that would ever happen?" It was a very sweet feeling.

Dallin went through a phase a couple of months ago when he would always sing with an opera-type voice. He wasn't doing it to be goofy--he seemed to think that was the correct way to sing. I hope he doesn't perceive my singing voice to be like that!
Posted by Picasa

Comments