Fudge-a-mania!

With Dallin being in kindergarten and having to read (or be read to, in his case) 20 minutes a day, we've been rediscovering a lot of my old favorites from my childhood. We quickly figured out that chapter books are the only way to go. There is no way that a person can read enough picture books to fill up 20 minutes a day, day in and day out!

Luckily for us, Dallin loves chapter books. And it has been so fun to re-read all the great books I've remembered from when I was a little girl. We've read several Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's, several Boxcar Children, Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie, Winnie the Pooh, and lots of Roald Dahl books, which aren't from my childhood but have nevertheless been a huge hit around here.

However, nothing has compared to the return of Fudge! Remember Fudge? My teachers in elementary school would read us the Fudge books, and we'd be rolling in our seats from laughter. Well, a few months ago I noticed that Dallin's book order had a discount on a whole set of Fudge books. I couldn't resist! A few weeks ago we sat down to begin Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, but Judy Blume. I knew the books were funny, but nothing could have prepared me for just how popular they would be with both my kids.

Dallin wants to be Fudge, I think (though he probably wouldn't admit it--OK, maybe he would admit it). When I say it's time to read, he gets this silly little voice, "Fudgie, Fudgie, Fudgie!" He constantly talks about the books, bringing up lines from the text and talking about the crazy things Fudge has done. He keeps asking about the next book, "When do I get to read about when Fudge is five???" Even Sariah will pick up one of the books and say, "Fuzh!" Yes, my 21-month-old, who has not listened to any of the stories, can identify Fudge by name and face.

We've had to do a bit of editing. The word "stupid" appears a few too many times for my taste, and Dallin certainly doesn't need any encouragement to re-add a word to his vocabulary that we've worked so hard to eliminate. A few of the themes are more appropriate for older elementary children than for kindergarteners. And I skipped the entire chapter where older brother Peter goes on and on about how Santa Claus is not real. (Luckly I read the entire book on my own ahead of time, just because I couldn't resist it myself!)

But even with these accomodations, we've enjoyed these books so much. Fudge is just as funny now that I'm in my late thirties as he was when I was in my late single-digits. And I don't think Dallin will ever quite forget him, even if he doesn't get to be him.

Comments

One Fish said…
Oh how I love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! Nobody else seems to remember reading those books. I have several very worn copies sitting on our book shelf. I can't wait to read them with my daughter some day.
Nemmer said…
I love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle too! We're slowly working up to chapter books, since J's attention span has only tolerated picture books so far. But the homeschool curriculum we're doing this year has been a good bridge, and now he enjoys a few chapter books too. We've read several of the Magic Tree House series, which he loves. I'll have to check out Fudge -- I don't think I ever read that one! I know next year's curriculum will include a lot more of these type of chapter books, and I'm really excited for it!