Jazzmania!

One last post tonight, and then I will take a break! I just keep feeling this need to have something on the blog, to have it be somewhat substantial until I can accumulate more daily posts.

February was Jazz Reading Month at D's school. The entire state participates. The kids read as much as they can, record their minutes, and then at the end of the month, the 12 schools with the most minutes get to have a Utah Jazz basketball player come and talk to the students.

The assessed reading goal for each child was 2000 minutes, which averaged out to about 1 hour a day. This doesn't sound too bad--for children who can read to themselves. But for dh and I to spend an hour a day reading to D, well, that was a bit overwhelming at times. However, we worked hard, and we did it! Toward the end, we sometimes read 2 hours a day. D loved every minute of it, and he got to discover some really wonderful books.

D was extremely excited to get to see a Jazz player in person. Now, before this reading contest, I don't think he entirely knew who the Jazz were or what the big deal was about having one come to school. But by the end, he had definitely caught on. We were so excited when we found out that D's school was one of the lucky 12! The day before the player was to come, I asked D who it was. He said, "Carl Junior". That cracked me up! I assumed he meant Carlos Boozer, one of the star players and thought it was hilarious that he mixed Carlos Boozer up with Carl's Junior, the restaurant. That night there was a Jazz game on TV, and D was their biggest fan. He cracked us up running around yelling "Boozer! Boozer! Go Boozer!" and constantly pointing out to us which number was HIS player.

Well, that night D ran a fever all night long. I told him the next morning that he might not get to go to school for the special assembly if he wasn't feeling better by the time school would be starting. All morning he kept asking if it was almost time for school to start. Finally, I had to tell him that yes, it was time, but I could not let him go to school when he had a fever. He was devastated! My heart literally ached for his disappointment, especially after he had worked SO hard to earn this. It was so hard to make him stay home. I kept praying that he would feel so sick that he would not even want to think about going to school. But that didn't happen. He cried and cried and cried, and then cried some more. I wanted so badly for things to be different, for him to be able to enjoy the fruits of his labors. I thought a lot about our Heavenly Father and how much He must love us and literally hurt with us when we experience setbacks and disappointments in life.

D ended up having strep throat and missing four days of school. When he finally got back, they had kept an autographed picture of the Jazz player for him. It ended up not being Carlos Boozer, but Kyle Korver. D treated this picture like it was his most prized possession! And now when he watches Jazz games, he has two players to cheer for. He knows both their numbers. The other night we watched a Jazz game, and he was hysterical with his cheering. "Ky-le! Ky-le!" he chanted. "Go Kyle! Oh yeah! Kyle! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!" All this time he was dancing and jumping up and down in a frenzy like he was actually at the game in person.

Then the other day S caught sight of the picture of Kyle Korver lying on the table. "Ky'l", she peeped in her sweet little voice. I about did a double-take. "What?", I asked her. "Ky'l", she replied, pointing to the picture. So now my 20-month-old S is a Kyle Korver fan too! D thinks it is wonderfully hilarious that his baby sister can identify Kyle Korver. He loves to sit at dinner and ask her over and over, "Say Kyle!" And she always responds, "Ky'l". He tries to get her to say Boozer, but that names does not come as easily to her toddler lips. Then he goes for, "Say dude!" And that she can do: "Dood!"

(So obviously, I keep forgetting to call dd R. Maybe she will just be S now, who knows? Maybe she will get a different initial each time I post?)

Comments