Introductions, continued...


This is D, my 5 year old. The grin on his face tells it all--it's a window to his soul! I used to complain about not having enough energy, to which D would reply, "Mom, if you want to have energy, you have to be silly like me!" D is a kindergartener and loving it. We passed a milestone the other day--he read his first book all by himself! I got him the Bob Books (phonics readers) for Christmas and have tried several times to help him read them, each time without much success. But the other day we had been working on his sight words for school and having a grand old time. We had been putting the word cards together to make sentences. D thought it was really funny to string 10 or 15 words together to make a huge, long sentence, which of course didn't make any sense, but sounded totally hilarious when read out loud. Anyway, he was having such fun reading sight words that I decided we might try reading the first Bob Book. Lo and behold, he got it! He then went on to read the second one and to try the third book, though he needed quite a bit of help with the third. I'm excited to see him loving school and succeeding!
In addition to school, D loves music and sports. He is taking piano lessons (sporadically) from mommy and loves being able to play little songs all by himself. He has recently acquired strong interests in all the major sports--basketball, soccer, baseball, football, and especially--Dodgeball. He plays dodgeball at PE almost every week, and when I asked him how the children felt who didn't like dodgeball, he looked at me incredulously and replied, "Everybody loves dodgeball!" He couldn't believe it when I admitted to him that I myself did not like dodgeball as a child.
Posted by Picasa

Comments