Coming up for air

We've been sick.  SO sick.  As if Sariah's broken arm wasn't enough.  We didn't sleep much for the first week after the injury, at first because the pain kept her up, and then because the itching kept her up.  Then on top of it all, the poor girl got a canker sore (the first of two she's gotten since her accidnet), and that kept her up.   And all parents know that when a child is up at night, mom and dad are up too.  In that first week after Christmas, we also had three separate vomitting episodes involving Preston, Sariah, and James.  Just when sleep was beginning to return to the family, we went to an all-night New Year's Eve slumber party with my family, which was loads of fun.... but not loads of sleep.  I had a feeling it would all catch up.  I can't do short nights for very long without it catching up.  And sure enough, the day after New Year's, my body felt like it'd been run over by a truck.  Head ache, sore through, pressure...  It's now a full week later, and while I feel much better, I am still congested.  I slept through most of the first four days.  I haven't been that sick in a very long time.  Then Sariah started running a fever.  She stayed home from church with me on Sunday, the first time I've missed church since becoming Primary president.  I had to miss the first Sunday of the new year.   Twenty-five minutes after leaving for church, James brought Preston back home.  He too was running a fever.  Now Dallin is sick as well--in fact, he's probably the sickest of all of us, poor kid.  And James is sporting a runny nose, trying desperately to ward off the inevitable with vitamins.  Did I mention that on top of all this, our van has been in the shop for a week (due to a little fender-bender on Christmas Eve, one of those "I told you it wasn't a good idea to go last-minute Christmas shopping in that snow storm" kinds of incidents) and our washer is broken?

Yeah, this is NOT the Christmas vacation I was anticipating back in August when I laid out our schedule for the school year.  I purposely had us take off a good part of the month of December so that we would be raring to go just after the new year.  But nobody's raring around these parts.  I was planning on having 3-4 days last week to plan and prep and be ready to start, after all, Sariah is starting FIRST GRADE! 

But not this week.

Comments