Sometimes kids do things that on the one hand make you want to tear your hair out, but on the other hand make you smile with motherly pride.
Today I was working with Dallin on a project in the living room, and we were both pretty engrossed in what we were doing. Sariah and Preston were playing happily in the kitchen, right around the corner. All of a sudden I became aware of this really weird grinding noise. I couldn't figure out what it was, so I went to check it out.
Well, it was--literally--grinding! Sariah had gotten into the cupboard, gotten out our hand grain mill, assembled it herself (properly, which is no easy feat), and then raided the pantry for any possible item that might be able to be ground. She had millet, popcorn kernals, sunflower seeds, even craisins... and was busily grinding away.
As if that wasn't enough, once she got a bowl ground, she would turn it over the Preston, who was happily "cooking" with all this lovely "flour"---all over the kitchen floor. They made quite a team, the miller and the baker.
"Blow, wind, blow.
Go, mill, go.
That the miller may grind the grain.
That the baker may take it
and into bread bake it,
and bring us a loaf in the morn."
This next endeavor wasn't as much of a mess, but it was just as sweet. The other day she decided to wash all her playsilks. She got into my craft cabinet and got out some yarn, which she tied between two chairs. She then got herself a bowl, soap, and water, washed the silks and hung them up to dry.
I love this girl! This is exactly the kind of stuff they do in Waldorf kindergartens, and even when I don't quite get around to making it all happen in our homeschool, she finds a way to do it herself.



Comments