Rumors

So I went visiting teaching today and learned something interesting.  I learned that apparently the rumor mill is running very well in our ward at the moment, and the rumor of choice is that we are getting a new bishop this Sunday.  Apparently the current bishopric is the last to know?  Because when I questioned James about this possible turn of events, he said he'd never heard any such thing.  The person I was visiting who shared this news with me had heard it from two different people.  I said it was news to me.

Let me just say:  Don't mess with me, people!!!  I am a woman who's husband has been in the bishopric for five years, one month, and probably a week or so.  Do NOT get my hopes up thinking that he will be released unless you know for a FACT it is true!!!  My head says it's a bunch of baloney, my heart says, "please let it be true!"  Oh please, oh please, oh please!

My dear husband had better not be messing with me either.  He does think it's great fun to keep secrets, and he has the best poker face and voice ever when he does.  Did I tell you about the time when he came home from work and, in the most serious tone possible, told me he'd quit his job?  He enjoyed watching me silently freak out (too stunned to give him a piece of my mind) for about half an hour before nonchalantly remarking, "You know I'm kidding, don't you?"

So now I'm torn.  If I find out he's getting released and is keeping it a secret from me, I'l be mildly ticked.  Bu only mildly, because, hey, he'd be getting released!  And if I find out he's telling the truth and he's not getting released?  Well, then I guess I can turn my frustration onto the good ole ward rumor mill.  Don't mess with me, people!!!

Comments

Jen said…
So, which was it? Rumor or truth?? My husband has only been bishop of our ward since April and I already can't wait for him to be released.
Lisa said…
I didn't know your husband was a bishop!

Well, it didn't happen today. I kind of didn't think it would since it was a fast Sunday. I also felt kind of vindicated to know that all those gossips were wrong. But I have to admit that just the thought that he might POSSIBLY be done was enough to put me clear into OVER THE EDGE mode with this calling. I am DONE. I was almost in tears this morning trying to get three kids ready for church by myself, and then after church trying to get everyone fed when I just wanted to take a nap, and trying to carve out time to work on a couple of big projects (stuff for my own calling, plus birthmother packages for two birthmoms this month), stuff it's really hard to do when he isn't home to spell me off with the kids.

Since you're just at the beginning of your journey, I'll tell you that for me at least, the first fix months or so were the hardest (however we also had a new baby). After about six months it just became our life and we got used to it. And then around 6 months ago when I knew we had to be almost done, I went through another "I hate this" spell for a couple of months. Then when the five year mark came and went I re-accepted that it could be awhile longer and felt more peaceful again. But now with getting my hopes up just the teensiest bit, and my emotions are all over the place. I'm just ready to be done.
Jen said…
Sorry it ended up being a rumor. I'm pretty sure your husband will know about it when it finally does happen. :)

My husband was just called as bishop and although he isn't gone quite as much as I expected him to be gone I still just hate it. I feel like he never talks to me. I'm always the last person to know things and I hate the pressure I feel to be the "perfect" family in church. Liam is FAR from perfect and it gives me anxiety every Sunday when he doesn't behave.