The birthday boy

July is birthday month at our house--three of the four of us have birthdays. That means that July is insanely crazy for Mom! Those who have not adopted children may not realize that birthday month means birthday letters, photobooks, and packages for our children's birth families, and while this is a labor of love, it really is also a labor. It takes a great deal of time to put this all together, especially if you're like me and have to write really lengthy letters detailing every single thing your child did in the past year.

This year was also birthday party year at our house. Since we do "friend" parties every four years, and since our kids are four years apart in age, the parties will always fall in the same month of the same year. But hey, I don't have to do it again for four more years!

Anyway, I feel like I've just finished running a marathon this past month. Though technically we still have James' birthday coming up, and we're leaving for a 15th anniversary getaway in a week too. Oh, and there's this tiny little detail called a baptism coming up! Which I've thought almost nothing about!

Dallin wanted a football party, and I was able to incorporate a bit of BYU in there too for him. He pronounced the evening "My best birthday ever!!!" so we did something right.

The cake. It had to be a football field cake, not just a football cake. He insisted on goal posts, but I had a spurt of inspiration. I made them out of pipecleaners, then dipped them in melted white chocolate. It worked perfectly!

James made this reall cool Football Training course (an obstacle course) in our backyard. He was amazing, and Dallin LOVED it.

Some of the guests thought it would be fun to eat their hamburgers and hot dogs inside the tent for the obstacle course. Dallin is in blue peeking in. I could hardly get any pictures, he was being uncooperative about it, and some of his guests were egging him on in hiding from the camera.

Crazy boys in our backyard. Dallin's the one swinging on the monkey bars.

James watching Dallin run the obstacle course--heading from the tunnel to the balance beam.

And kicking a soccer ball between cones.

Laughing with his cousin B.

And blowing out the candles.

The movie we picked to show, Rudy, proved to be too boring for all the boys except Dallin. (I thought football movies actually were about football?) Dallin was totally into it, but James and I had five or more other 8+ year-old boys wandering around the house looking for something to do. Luckily, we talked Dallin into taking them all outside for a good, old-fashioned football game. (Dallin's in the middle all in blue.) Yay, party saved!

Comments