International Babywearing Week...

er, make that International Childwearing Week!

I usually stop using my sling when my kids are around 18 months old. But since we've gotten a dog, that sling has been pressed back into service! I found that whenever I tried to walk Zoey with Sariah by my side, Sariah just couldn't keep up, and I'd always end up carrying her. So we tried the stroller once or twice, and what a pain that was. I couldn't get the dog to walk at the side of the stroller without constantly crossing in front of me or running in to the wheels.


So I pulled out my sling, and it's perfect! Sariah is a tad heavy, but not too heavy, and it's definitely easier to carry her this way then in my arms. She loves it! She loves to talk about how when she was a baby, she laid down in the sling. We have a book about babywearing around the world called A Ride on Mother's Back, and one of the first times we walked with the sling, she announced proudly, "I'm riding on my mother's back!" I pointed out that she was actually riding on my hip, so now when we go walking, she tells the world, "I'm riding on my mother's hip!"

(Of course we totally had to stage this picture, because naturally, the times when I need to walk the dog and carry Sariah are the times when no one else is around to take a picture...)
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Caitlin said…
Adorable!!! I just found your blog! :)
Lisa said…
Thanks, Caitlin! Glad to see you here!
One Fish said…
You must have really strong shoulders. There is no way I could do that with A. You need a backpack or a wagon!
Lisa said…
Well, Sariah's probably lighter than A. It's really doable for a short 20 minute walk, and my shoulders can handle it better than my arms when I would end up just carrying her in my arms. I do wish I had a Mei Tai or something though so I could carry her on my back.