I had to smile at my kids tonight.
We were cleaning up the house. Sariah was thinking she had an infinite number of better things to do than clean up the house. We were picking up all the food from her play kitchen, but she got distracted and wanted to "cook" the food instead. So we had this conversation:
Sariah: Mom, you want roast beef or chicken noodles?
Me: We're not playing right now, it's time to pick up.
Sariah: Roast beef or chicken noodles?
Me: I want you to put the food away.
Sariah: Roast beef or chicken noodles?
Me: Neither. My choice is to have toys picked up.
Sariah: Roast beef or chicken noodles?
Then I realized that she was just doing what I do. How many times have we had this conversation?
Me: Sariah, it's time to put PJ's on. Do you want tops or bottoms first?
Sariah: I don't want to put on PJ's.
Me: Tops or bottoms? You choose.
Sariah: I choose none! I not go to bed!
Me: Are you putting on tops or bottoms first?
Sariah: I. NOT. PUT. PJ'S. ON! I NOT. GO. TO. BED!
Me: Tops or bottoms?
I did not realize that she was paying attention to my methods! At least this is one of my better little parenting tricks (because Sariah usually will eventually give up and choose something).
Then, a few minutes later, she was still balking at everything we wanted her to do. And Dallin took over. I watched, amazed, as he got her to do every single thing we wanted her to do with no tears!
We were putting clothes away, and Dallin told her that if she put her underwear in her drawer, one by one, he would count them while she did it. Then he did the same thing with her socks. Then he told her that if she put her books on the shelf, he would count them for her. They came down stairs and finished picking up the play food using the same method.
When all was said and done, Dallin turned to me and said, "See Mom, that's how you handle it."
Well, well.
We were cleaning up the house. Sariah was thinking she had an infinite number of better things to do than clean up the house. We were picking up all the food from her play kitchen, but she got distracted and wanted to "cook" the food instead. So we had this conversation:
Sariah: Mom, you want roast beef or chicken noodles?
Me: We're not playing right now, it's time to pick up.
Sariah: Roast beef or chicken noodles?
Me: I want you to put the food away.
Sariah: Roast beef or chicken noodles?
Me: Neither. My choice is to have toys picked up.
Sariah: Roast beef or chicken noodles?
Then I realized that she was just doing what I do. How many times have we had this conversation?
Me: Sariah, it's time to put PJ's on. Do you want tops or bottoms first?
Sariah: I don't want to put on PJ's.
Me: Tops or bottoms? You choose.
Sariah: I choose none! I not go to bed!
Me: Are you putting on tops or bottoms first?
Sariah: I. NOT. PUT. PJ'S. ON! I NOT. GO. TO. BED!
Me: Tops or bottoms?
I did not realize that she was paying attention to my methods! At least this is one of my better little parenting tricks (because Sariah usually will eventually give up and choose something).
Then, a few minutes later, she was still balking at everything we wanted her to do. And Dallin took over. I watched, amazed, as he got her to do every single thing we wanted her to do with no tears!
We were putting clothes away, and Dallin told her that if she put her underwear in her drawer, one by one, he would count them while she did it. Then he did the same thing with her socks. Then he told her that if she put her books on the shelf, he would count them for her. They came down stairs and finished picking up the play food using the same method.
When all was said and done, Dallin turned to me and said, "See Mom, that's how you handle it."
Well, well.
Comments