(Cake, that is....)
Sariah's birthday cake turned out so cute, I'm giving it it's very own post! She's been talking for weeks about wanting a "princess" birthday. As I searched online for cake ideas, just about all I could find was Disney princesses, which I HATE with a passion. I'd been thinking more along the lines of sweet, gentle woodland fairy princesses, not cartoons. Finally, after searching pages and pages on Google, I found about five different cakes that I pasted together to form this one. I loved one cake that had a beautiful green bottom of flowers and vines. I thought it would be fun to add forest-y trees, which were totally simple to make out of pre-packaged gum paste. I saw two other cakes that showed a round castle and four turrets topped with waffle ice cream cones. The turrets were pretty easy to do with cupcakes which I froze and then cut so the sides would be straight. They were the perfect size for the ice cream cones. The only issue I had was that after cutting the cupcakes, they were really crumbly and I had a hard time keeping the crumbs out of the frosting. I should have re-frozen them before icing them.
I got the window ideas from yet another cake. The windows and doors were cut from rolled fondant, and were so easy, yet we weren't stuck having to eat a lot of fondant. For the finishing touch, I made a cute little pink princess out of gum paste stuck together with a toothpick. The whole cake is put together with bamboo skewers to keep the turrets from falling down.
It's not perfect--it's definitely not professional looking. My ivy vines are too thick, and as you can tell in the bottom photo, the cake leans toward the backside. But Sariah loved it! I had fun making it too, in spite of being up till 1:30 am last night and then working for about 4 hours today. There's nothing like having your electric mixer burn out in the middle of making a double batch of buttercream frosting, and having to go to Walmart late at night to get a new one
Sariah's birthday cake turned out so cute, I'm giving it it's very own post! She's been talking for weeks about wanting a "princess" birthday. As I searched online for cake ideas, just about all I could find was Disney princesses, which I HATE with a passion. I'd been thinking more along the lines of sweet, gentle woodland fairy princesses, not cartoons. Finally, after searching pages and pages on Google, I found about five different cakes that I pasted together to form this one. I loved one cake that had a beautiful green bottom of flowers and vines. I thought it would be fun to add forest-y trees, which were totally simple to make out of pre-packaged gum paste. I saw two other cakes that showed a round castle and four turrets topped with waffle ice cream cones. The turrets were pretty easy to do with cupcakes which I froze and then cut so the sides would be straight. They were the perfect size for the ice cream cones. The only issue I had was that after cutting the cupcakes, they were really crumbly and I had a hard time keeping the crumbs out of the frosting. I should have re-frozen them before icing them.
I got the window ideas from yet another cake. The windows and doors were cut from rolled fondant, and were so easy, yet we weren't stuck having to eat a lot of fondant. For the finishing touch, I made a cute little pink princess out of gum paste stuck together with a toothpick. The whole cake is put together with bamboo skewers to keep the turrets from falling down.
It's not perfect--it's definitely not professional looking. My ivy vines are too thick, and as you can tell in the bottom photo, the cake leans toward the backside. But Sariah loved it! I had fun making it too, in spite of being up till 1:30 am last night and then working for about 4 hours today. There's nothing like having your electric mixer burn out in the middle of making a double batch of buttercream frosting, and having to go to Walmart late at night to get a new one

Comments