Small miracles

Sariah was up most of the night last night with an ear infection. Which means that James and I were up most of the night too. I's already stayed up till midnight, having procrastinated preparing the 5th Sunday lesson James and I were teaching today, and I think Sariah woke up right about the time I was thinking of going to bed.

We tried everything to help her. I have to admit that my crunchy leanings tend to go out the window when my child is crying in pain in the middle of the night, so we reached first for Motrin and Benadryl (because she'd been having allergy symptoms for three days). That bought us a couple of hours of sleep. But once she awoke again, NOTHING helped. I even found some prescription ear drops that hadn't expired from the last time she'd had an ear infection, months ago. Prescription-strength ear drops didn't do squat. She'd manage to fall asleep for twenty minutes or so, and then she'd be awake again, crying out because it hurt.

I said several fervent prayers during the night that she'd have some relief. No luck. At 7:00 am, as James got ready for bishopric meeting, I begged him to call someone to help give her a blessing. He called our bishop, who came over on his way to the meeting. James and the bishop gave her a blessing, and as soon as they placed their hands on her head, I felt the spirit so sweetly, so comfortingly. It wasn't a dramatic blessing or anything, but it just felt so good.

Fifteen minutes later my little girl was sitting at the table eating hot cocoa with Dallin. Five minutes after that, she was running around the family room helping him gather materials to build a fort.

The power of the priesthood is amazing! Even prescription-strength ear drops couldn't accomplish what a simple healing blessing managed to do.

Throughout the day, the ear pain returned, though not as bad. I did take her to the doctor later on, who confirmed that her right ear was showing signs of weeping and could have possibly burst without treatment. The blessing staved off the painful symptoms long enough that James and I could fulfill our church obligation of team teaching this lesson, and then we were able to use regular medical means of solving the problem.

All day I've been feeling that I needed to post this story, that I need to not forget the small ways in which the Lord watches over us daily if we only seek His power.

Comments