My little potty-learner has been experimenting with regression the last week or so. When she first started having these "accidents" (after several weeks of near-perfect pottying), I thought it through and decided that she just needed us to back off and not make a big deal about it. I was afraid that if she thought I was getting mad, it would turn into a whole power/independence thing, and then she would purposely have accidents just to prove that she was in charge. So I backed off. When she wet her pants, I just said, "It's OK, you're learning."
We had a few days that went better, but now she's back to accidents. In spite of repeated gentle reminders about going potty, she wet her diaper before she made it this morning (she'd been up for 10 minutes and adamantly resisted our efforts to get her to sit on the pot). And now she just wet her pants, even though I've been gently saying for the last hour, "Do you need to go potty?"
I feel myself quickly turning into mean, mad Mommy! I know that the conclusion I came to before about not pushing, not showing frustration, is still the right conclusion. But by golly, I'm having a hard time living up to it! This child knows how to do it. She's gone consistently for days on end, with few to no accidents. It's not like she "forgot" this morning, since she'd been reminded repeatedly prior to each incident of wet pants.
Argh, I don't know what to do now. I feel like screaming!
We had a few days that went better, but now she's back to accidents. In spite of repeated gentle reminders about going potty, she wet her diaper before she made it this morning (she'd been up for 10 minutes and adamantly resisted our efforts to get her to sit on the pot). And now she just wet her pants, even though I've been gently saying for the last hour, "Do you need to go potty?"
I feel myself quickly turning into mean, mad Mommy! I know that the conclusion I came to before about not pushing, not showing frustration, is still the right conclusion. But by golly, I'm having a hard time living up to it! This child knows how to do it. She's gone consistently for days on end, with few to no accidents. It's not like she "forgot" this morning, since she'd been reminded repeatedly prior to each incident of wet pants.
Argh, I don't know what to do now. I feel like screaming!
Comments