Menu mania

I've been a fan of online menu planners for the past year or so. I am one of those people for whom menu planning and grocery shopping are overwhelming and much-hated chores, so I have loved the idea that I can pay someone else a nominal fee to do all the work for me. Just tell me what to get and I'm good! I don't really mind doing the actual cooking. I've tried both www.savingdinner.com and www.thescramble.com and liked both for different reasons. Right now I'm using The Scramble. We've gotten a few more weird dishes out of that particular site. But the advantage is that if you receive a recipe you know your family won't eat, you can go into the website's database of recipes and substitute something else. And--the site will automatically update your grocery list to reflect the changed recipe! I've learned to change any recipe that looks even remotely strange. I also have liked The Scramble because it includes recipes for the side dishes, which Saving Dinner does not. Even when a salad is in order, suggested ingredients are included. This is great for me because it means that we actually eat salads with things other than just carrots and cucumbers in them.

However, one frustration I've had is that these online menus cannot possible reflect what's on sale at my grocery store in a given week. I know I have spent more money on groceries in exchange for the convenience of not having to figure out what to cook. But I have now found a solution! Check out this latest website, www.myfoodstoragedeals.com ! Now, it only works if you live in Utah--sorry those of you who don't! My Food Storage Deals compares the ads at the five major grocery chains in Utah and rates them, just like www.pinchingmypennies.com . However, MFSD also lets you know what the shelf life is on each item and how many you would need to get for a year's supply per person. AND, best of all!, the website includes weekly menus based on what's on sale at these stores! And then prints you out the grocery list. Talk about a dream come true! I can have the best of both worlds. Now, I didn't think the menus were quite as exciting as those from the sites I've already been using. (Whatever meat is on sale gets used in multiple dishes for the week.) However, I might trade that to save some money in this age of rising food and gas prices.

Now the question is, do I sign up for this right away (it's only $9.95/month, with a free 2-week trial) or do I wait till my Scramble subscription runs out? I figure if I did both at the same time, I could still print the Scramble menus and save them for another time when it's easier to spend money on food.

Comments