Just say "No!"......

....to school fundraisers!!!!

Arrrghhh!

So D comes home from school yesterday with a nice, glossy catalogue proclaiming chocolates for sale. Attached to the nice, glossy catalogue is a letter explaining that it's time for another school fundraiser. I feel a groan coming on. In the past I have conveniently ignored these pleas. This one includes a permission slip requiring a parent to sign for $50 worth of chocolate, which the family can either sell or eat and pay for themselves. Two problems with this scenario: 1) I HATE selling things! 2) Chocolate in the house and me in the house are not a good mix!

Problem #2 is obvious. If we do this, I will be paying for a hefty chunk of this candy myself because I simply cannot resist anything that resembles chocolate.

So, in order to alleviate Problem #2 and get the chocolate out of the house, I'd have to deal with Problem #1. Remember, I HATE selling things! Obviously, there's no way I'm going to send my 5-year-0ld out into the neighborhood to sell things, and the likelihood of me going with him to sell anything is infetisimably small (and I have no clue how to spell that word, but I can't think of a better one!). I once had a friend talk me into being part of the gift-basket business she wanted to start up. I told her I would be happy to help out as long as one thing was understood--I would. not. sell. anything. Period. I would make baskets, I would handle all the finances, I would do a myriad of things--but I would NOT sell anything. Yeah, so two months later, she told me it was my turn to cold call some businesses to sell our gift baskets. I reminded her of what I had said prior to joining her in this venture. Her answer was, "Well, I know, but I didn't think you really meant it." Well, I meant it. Needless to say, our joint business didn't last long after that.

So, they say, have your husband take the candy to work and people can buy it there. Yeah, like we're the first parents to think of that one. In fact, so many parents have had the same idea that J's company has had to come up with a policy about "no selling things at work". Since J is the HR director and the one to write the policy, I highly doubt we could get away with sneaking around it!

Anyway, after reading the information packet about chocolate-selling, I obviously decided to let this one fall by the way side. Then D tells me all about the Chocolate Man who came to their assembly to tell them all about the fundraiser. "Can we do it mom? Please, please, please! If we do it, we win _________! And ________! And _________!" I can't remember what the rewards are, but in his mind, it might as well be a Caribbean cruise, it all sounds so exciting.

Arrghhhh!

This is what I hate about public school! I hate this manipulation! And that's exactly what it is--manipulation! They know that good old mom is going to think fundraising is about as fun as having her nails torn off one by one. So they hype it all up to the kids, who really have little say in if or when or how the fundraising is done. They get the kids all excited so that they can make us parents feel guilty. Yeah, if our child is the one who drops the ball, the whole school loses out on all these wonderful, fabulous prizes. This is the blankety-blank-blank that makes me want to homeschool.

It's also the thing that makes me rebel. I will not be manipulated into falling for this game. I'm stubborn--I get it from my father's side of the family. I haven't done a school fundraiser yet. (OK, so it's only kindergarten--I have six more years to be worn down.) And I'm not doing this one either. How I will break it to D, I don't know. But luckily for him, he has a short memory. There will be a bit of weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, but it won't be anything a trip to Macey's to spend 50 cents won't cure.

Arrghhhh!

Comments

Nemmer said…
I agree with you, the whole thing just seems wrong.
Stacy said…
I so agree with you! Bah Humbug to school fundraisers and using the kids as pawns. I love your blog by the way.
Jen said…
This post makes me so glad that our school doesn't use those "prizes" and doesn't pressure parents into doing fundraisers. I was so happy last year when they implemented a school carnival as a fundraiser instead of selling things. I would much rather pay to go have fun with my kids and be able to spend whatever fits my budget than buy useless stuff I don't need that's way overpriced anyway! So, stick to your guns and maybe they'll change something soon.